Monday, October 16, 2006

developing

Saturday, October 07, 2006

So this last night I finished a 36 page report on the implementation of the Schools for Schools program in Uganda. Sometimes I am still reeling from moving out here, other times still adjusting to not working for the volunteer program, and then I am often sitting and contemplating the enormity of the task I have--to coordinate the logistics for spending somewhere around 2 million dollars that we will receive from donors in the next year. Even now, kids in high schools around the US are gearing up to build this link. They are preparing fund-raising activities and we are building the infrastructure that will join them, hopefully utilizing technology to allow the students to see what their money is building, from even such distances, to meet in some small fashion, the thankful kids who receive thier help.
If this sounds too much like propoganda or some sort of descriptive material, I'm sorry. I've been writing exactly such stuff for too long, staying up into the night and talking to many people during the day, trying to learn the finances of development, the logistics of construction, and even the opperations of electronics. Sometimes it seems like too much, but there is part of me, when I sit and look at the document I created, that thinks I might just pull it off. I don't really know how I'll do it, probably by hiring people that are actually well-qualified to the tasks and having them do all the grunt work, or some other such plan, but it will get done I think. In time, these schools will have clean water, better teaching ooportunities, adequate supplies, new buildings, and updated technology.
Still seems odd to say it. And to think about it. I was reading before I came out here, and remembering back to the studies I've made until now, and it always amazes me that I'm applying some of those concepts, struggling for sustainability, appropriate development strategies and everything else.
I don't really know what to say about it all, and my battery is dying anyway. Just wanted to let people know why I've been so busy lately.